There’s no denying New Zealand and Australia share many similarities. For example there’s our flags, our accents, our location and our heritage, not to mention our love of beer, barbecues, sheep, surfing and saying ‘she’ll be right’ – not necessarily in that order. It’s understandable that foreigners get us confused, but NO MORE. Here’s a list of 10 things that make New Zealand different from (and frankly better than) Australia. Feel free to add more or, if you’re Australian, take revenge.
1) New Zealand is a small, green paradise as opposed to a vast, orange dessert.
2) New Zealand’s wildlife doesn’t want to kill you.
3) New Zealanders aren’t descended from convicts.
4) New Zealand never classed its native people as ‘fauna’ and Maori were given the right to vote a full century before Aboriginal Australians.
5) New Zealand doesn’t have these.
6) Or these.
7) And these are called jandals, not thongs.
8) New Zealand has the southern hemisphere’s tallest building; Australia doesn’t.
9) New Zealand allows gay marriage; Australia doesn’t.
10) New Zealand isn’t too hot all the time.
Article by Abigail Simpson, author of POMS AWAY! A British Immigrant’s View of New ZealandFollow Not_Australia